Monday 6 May 2013

Landmines - Seim Reap

Landmines are still a problem in Cambodia. Although there has been a lot of demining of the countryside over the past 30 years, there are still Cambodians getting their limbs blown off when they work in their fields.  

Landmines are buried in the ground in many countries where there have been wars. The map shows how much the countries are contaminated by landmines. The brown and red colours show where they are the highest. You can see Cambodia & Laos is still there, and so is Iran and Iraq. 

You remember that I said I had two memories of Siem Reap from when I was little? The other memory I have is of Mum forcing me to stand on a landmine so she could take a photo! I was only 3!



The Khmer Rouge & the Cambodian Army laid landmines also. Aki Ra was taken by his family when he was little and became a child soldier. He built and buried landmines. He has been finding mines and bombs and removing them safely for years. He also set up a centre to help children and families affected by amputation. 




 Landmines buried in the undergrowth













No comments:

Post a Comment