Tuesday 2 July 2013

Boat to Rainforest Lodge

Boat to SUKAU Rainforest eco-lodge


The speed boat went about 50km/h we think, except when we went past villages when it slowed down (just like when you go through a school zone in Sydney). It was open so we had fresh air on our faces and could see the mangroves & wetlands, and try to spot wild animals. It was like a safari, except the usual 2pm Borneo thunderstorm happened again and the blue plastic sides of the boat were put down so we couldn’t see much unless we got wet. We did, but it was worth it, and the storm passed like it always has since we got here. 

Look at what we saw in the wild! 
Borneo Pygmy elephants - they are only found wild in Borneo. 

It was so beautiful seeing them in their natural habitat. Even though people can’t always see them (we were VERY lucky to see a herd, including some calves) it doesn’t matter. IF animals can live safely without being killed, sold or captured, or lose their habitat (like the orangutans are too), they should be in the wild. But I know too many humans are destroying the environment. The palm oil plantations are causing the Pygmy elephants to be restricted to smaller and smaller areas.  I heard from a lady today that the Laos government is selling their elephants - 9 are going to China, 6 to Japan, 2 to a circus!!
It took about 3 and a half hours down the Kinabatangan River to reach Sukau Rainforest Lodge.









5 comments:

  1. This is so cool! The photos are fantastic and by the way the blog overall is really interesting and educational - I am learning heaps! Unlikely I will visit all these places (not a big fan of roughing it) but I definitely have to come to this ego lodge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you definitely must go to the Eco lodge. What you mean you don't like roughing it?

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to the orangs post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Prue but I can't tell you when the Orangatun blog will be uploaded, this is out of my control! Apsara

      Delete
  3. I don't like hiking through tough jungle!! And we did so much camping when I was a child that I like my creature comforts when I travel, but sounds like the place you are staying is quite comfortable.

    As for the orangs, it will get up eventually, I often have a few days delay uploading my stuff, I just do it when I can

    ReplyDelete