Saturday 29 September 2012

Monivrong orphanage


We met Mary and Martin (Mum’s friends from Singapore & Sydney) at Villa Langka. We took them to the Missionaries of Charity Monivrong orphanage. Mary asked if it was okay to go because there are advertisements all over Cambodia saying “Children are tourist attractions: think before you visit an orphanage”. This is because some people are setting up tours to show poverty and the poor. And there are some people who set up orphanages to get money out of tourists and foreigners and the kids don’t get any of the money and are not treated well.

BUT, the Monivrong orphanage is special to me. I wasn’t going to look at the children, I went to visit the Sisters who have known be every since I was born (in fact, still in the womb) and to see the kids again. I wanted to introduce Mary and Martin to the Sisters, Mary’s brother is a priest and he worked with the sisters in the Northern Territory.

The great news is that two little brothers, Sophy and Sopheak, who I have known for 4 years but can’t be adopted because Cambodia has closed adoptions, have moved in with a husband and wife who have just got married. The husband was an orphan himself and he wanted to help the boys.




Sister Lily and me
This is an advertisement about protecting children

After Monivrong we went to FCC, which is another place I’ve been going to for more than 9 years.







No comments:

Post a Comment