Friday 26 April 2013

Kayaking down the Nam Khan River

There are 6.5 million people in Laos but they are not evenly distributed because of the landforms, most people in the valleys of the Mekong river and its tributaries. It’s also much easier to get around, which Mum & I discovered today. It was SO peaceful paddling down the Nam Khan river. 

The river was slow moving and it seemed to be about 8 metres below the edge of the crops. So the rapids weren’t very fast but they were still fun!

Only 4% of the country is arable land, this means the people can grow their crops on it. 80% of the land that can be farmed is being used to grow rice. Subsistence agriculture is when people only grow what they need and most Laotions are subsistence farmers. 

We saw some crops as we paddled down the river. And when we stopped at a river bank for lunch, we ate the famous Laos rice.

Starting off
Just Mum taking MORE photos

But I took one of her

Mum was behind me in the kayak - so I don't know IF she was paddling or  if I did it all!!




Lunch

Rapids



see? Mum was behind me - but she's got her paddle in the water !


No comments:

Post a Comment