Sunday 28 April 2013

Monks alms morning procession

b The sound of gongs echoed, ringing through our senses. Mum thought we were too late to see the monks, she said we could always do it tomorrow. Obviously, she had second thoughts and jumped out of bed. With my thonged feet and my t-shirt thrown over, we walked out of the hotel ready to slide images into the lens! 
the colours ..

The morning ritual "Thak Bhat" is more spectacular than the alms giving I have seen in Cambodia. It looked like an artist's pallete with the shades of saffron,oranges layered on top of the vigorous greens. 




Alms giving is a bit like an offertory in a Christian church, but in a church the money usually goes to charity. Buddhists give their alms offering to the monks, not for their food or charity, but more because the monk symbolises the spirituality of Buddhism. However, I was told that the extra sticky rice is given to poor families. 

The alms bowls

Boys from 11 years old can become a monk

Breakfast at Villa Santi - it was a former palace. 



Watercolors are always packed.
Here are some scenes that inspired me to snap. 






Mum and I have tried this at home . . . but it didn't go as planned!


An old antique metal fan (in the lobby), Mum pointed it out to me.


Villa Santi room - we were there for 2 nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment