Tuesday 30 September 2014

Art Deco in Phnom Penh


ART DECO IN PHNOM PENH
The name Art Deco came from an exhibition in Paris in 1925 called the Exposition Internationale des Arts Décoratifs et Industriels Modernes.  It’s what I’m learning in Technology, I have to design jewellery based on the Art Deco style. So, because it was French and because Cambodia was French Colonized and because there is a spectacular Art Deco building in Phnom Penh, Mum and I went walking today. To the Central Market - which was built in 1937 (between WW1 and WW2 .. when Art Deco flourished)

The entrance - symmetry, geometry.

Art Deco is characterized by geometric shapes, which was influenced by machines and  modern technology. So there were also stylized wheels, circles, and angular shapes. It was often symmetrical.  [Art Deco also had decorative themes of natural elements like sunbursts or flowers].

The roof .. light filters inside through the geometric openings


Close up of geometric motif



Art Deco is more symmetry rather than asymmetry, and more rectilinear rather than the curvilinear.

There is a balance of angular and round - wheel inspired
The sunburst dome ceiling inside.
 I took photos (obviously)


 Below is an art work depicting the Central Market and making a statement about Cambodia- victims, war, clash, evacuate, Hun Sen, Democracy !!!! I really liked this, it's clever. I saw it at FCC (Foreign Correspondents Club). 



ALSO, when I was slurping down my chocolate milkshake, I spied MORE Art Deco motifs on the building opposite. It is amazing to see how much French influence still remains - IF I look!


No comments:

Post a Comment