Tuesday 2 October 2012

Phnom Penh & Monivrong Orphanage

Mum and I visited Sister Lily and the children at Monivrong today and brought cookies, yoghurt, biscuits and coffee. The Sisters don't buy things for themselves because they have made a vow to poverty which means they don't own anything or buy things for themselves. The Missionaries of Charity Order was started by Mother Theresa.  Sister Lily has known me since I was baby Trinita, she is very special to me.


One of the boy's I played with at Monivrong.
Mr Cheeky

And Mr Monkey


Who's under the bed?
The two boy's behind me were the ones I was chasing. The little chap on me just wanted a hug.




The tiny 3 month old baby who Mum and I just adored.



Sister Lily and the children waving goodbye.

Mum and I had planned to walk to Monivrong, but we when we got to Lucky supermarket (to buy the stuff for Monivrong) the rain pounded down, like it has every day. It is the wet season! So, we got a tuk tuk. But we DID walk for about 2 hours, snapping photos of normal things. What I mean is that things I saw today are just so familiar because I've been walking the Phnom Penh streets for years, but on this trip I am focusing on capturing the scenes. 

Here are some of the scenes. 

In the bags are biscuits, yogurt and milk for the kids, and shortbread and coffee for the Sisters.
The streets are colourful even when it's raining because all the drivers where plastic raincoats on their motorbikes.
Here is the mango man. Mum wouldn't let me get any because she didn't want to  haul them around Phnom Penh.


The monks must have been washing today

This is for carrying the coffin - 

Here are the coffins. Wat Langka is the only wat that cremates in Phnom Penh now. Buddhists cremate their dead because they believe the person's soul comes back as another being. 

Wat Langka



This is outside a hotel. It says "Sex tourists are not welcome". Some people come to Cambodia to get prostitutes, young girls, because they figure they can get them more cheaply. This is a good hotel because it's making a point. 

This is Independence Monument which was built in 1953 when Cambodia became it's own country and not run by the French.



Local hairdresser 

oh, and I forgot to add that I also got some DVDs and CDs of music.


No comments:

Post a Comment