Tuesday 30 June 2015

Dolphins

We saw another sunrise but this time from the Bali sea. We paddled out to the outrigger at 5.50am in the dark and glided towards the sunrise and dolphin pods. More photos with sunrise ambience!    




Although I swam with a dolphin in Singapore when I was 7 yo, this morning was even better because the dolphins were in their natural habitat.

Mum and I talked about the comic scene when a dolphin pod was spotted and all the tourist outriggers turned and motored towards them. I don’t think the boats were menacing for the dolphins because they didn’t have to be near us, they have a huge sea.

Dolphins are intelligent, and I think they were playing with us, taunting us, and could even be laughing at stupid humans chasing them all over the sea to spy them through camera lenses!

A scientist recently did MRI scans of dolphins brains, and it proves that their brains are structured to all for self-awareness (and complex emotions). The part of the dolphin brain associated with processing emotional information is large.




And here's a video I took:



You might be wondering why I am laughing in these photos. Well, it’s poor Mum with her lack of marine knowledge. 

She checked with me saying “dolphins don’t have spouts, do they?”. Yes they do, I told her, and explained that they take deep breaths and can hold their breath for a long time.

She then said “so they can’t breathe under water?”. No Mum, they don’t have gills! 

THEN, she asked, “I wonder where do they lay their eggs?” Oh Mum ... blessed be thee, she didn’t know dolphins are mammals! (Mum didn’t want me to write this in the blog, she SAYS she was tired and she wasn’t thinking clearly!!!!).




No comments:

Post a Comment