Friday 26 June 2015

Snorkelling Gili Nanngu


I was surprised when our boat anchored and dispatched us on the south western Gili islands as they were obviously not a tourist destination. 


I jumped into the waves off the salt worn boat being careful not to bump my head (which mum did numerous times), on to the remote isolated Gili Nanggu. Taking in my surroundings, Mum and I were then only ones, well the only tourists there. We practically had the whole island to ourselves!

CORAL REEFS

Coral reefs need lots of sun, warm sea temperatures, shallow waters and few nutrients in the ocean water. The gilis around Lombok certainly have sun and warm seas.

Coral polyps have a symbiotic relationship with zooxanthellae (tiny plant like organisms) which live in the cells of polyps where they can get sunlight. The zooxanthellae use the light for photosynthesis and produce food. The coral gets the food and the zooxanthellae gets sunlight and protection. This is what a symbiotic relationship means when both benefit. It’s a bit like Mum and me this trip – I get to see a spectacular coral reef underworld and Mum gets to enjoy spending time with me, we both benefit ! haha!

If the water is too deep or is clouded with nutrients (like pollution) the sunlight wouldn’t reach the coral and zooxanthellae wouldn’t be able to perform photosynthesis and the coral die.


Fringing reefs develop when coral polyps attach themselves to the hard surfaces at the edge of the island. Over thousands and thousands of years the colony grows  and forms a fringing reef. A lagoon happens between the island the reef.







Enough of fringing reefs, back to the fish & coral we saw today.











Mum & I had sand breaks between snorkeling, which means sitting on the sand. Mum then did a walk on the shoreline because I wanted to take some photos of her!









“Fish are friends, not food” (remember the Shark to Nemo?), but the tender fresh flesh that just flaked off from the just caught lunch .. well I  soon forgot that mantra! 


 Lunch on another tiny island, cooked by locals.




No comments:

Post a Comment