Tuesday 30 June 2015

Seminyak and the END!


We fly back to Singapore tomorrow morning after spending a day in Seminyak. It was completely different to anywhere else I’ve been in the last 12 days, and I don’t think I would come to Seminyak again. It was far too touristy, shops everywhere (I did look at a few!! .. and am packing a few more things tonight!!!), bars and restaurants, and the only people I passed in the street were Australians! Jalan Raya Seminyak was like Warringah Mall without escalators or air con, just a very very long street of shops!

AND the beach was awful, lined with pubs and restaurants too with people spilling out to the sand, to sit on daybeds they have to pay for! The natural environment was not important, which was clear with the rubbish thrown into the sea. The tide had just gone out when we walked and plastics were deposited as the sea withdrew.




Seminyak/ Legian beaches
I saw a documentary exposing the damage tourists are doing to Bali. It showed how the drainage and sewage system can’t cope with the huge numbers, and how the focus on dollars is more important than the environment. It was interesting shopping though, because NO shops gave plastic bags, only paper ones which is more than happens in Sydney!

I did support the local industry though ... new aqua dress!






















This my last night in Indonesia, we fly to Singapore in the morning. Mum asked me tonight what my highlights were, and they are:
·               snorkeling in the gilis
·               seeing so many turtles  and dolphins in their natural habitat
·               climbing the volcano in the dark, and sunrise from the top
·               cycling around the local area (except not the mud!!)
·               staring out into the jungle from our balconies and terraces soaking in nature
·               wandering around Ubud and its surroundings, meeting local people and talking to them


When I come back (and I will), I will definitely stay away from the tourist part where culture and the environment are being invaded by insensitive people. The Balinese live with nature, it’s part of their culture and beliefs. I love the offerings of thanks they give every day, it’s good to stop and appreciate everything we get and give thanks.




2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Apsara. Made me want to get on a plane!

    Glad you had a good trip - and love the dress : )

    ReplyDelete